Unknown Builder   (possibly Bergstrom)
Opus        
ca. 1865

Unknown Builder   (Schoenstein ?)
Opus
1894

"Installation of used organ from San Francisco, Cal."


Great
8     Open Diapason                      58
8     Melodia                                 58
8
4     Principal                                58
4     Flute                                     58

2     Fifteenth                                58



Swell (Enclosed)
8     Open Diapason                      ??
8     Salicional                              ??
8     Stopped Diapason          (tc)   46
8     Stopped Diapason Bass         12
4     Principal                                58

2     Piccolo                                  58
 
 
 
Pedal
16   Dble. Op. Diapason                27
16   Bourdon                                27
 
 
Couplers
Undocumented

Foot Levers
Undocumented

Pedal Movements
Swell Expression  [presumed]
 
 
Action: Mechanical Key & Stop

Voices: ??

Stops: ??

Ranks: ??

Pipes: ???
 
 
Notes
The exact origins of this organ are not firmly documented, though much circumstantial evidence exists.

Grace Episcopal Cathedral of San Francisco purchased a II-manual and pedal tracker organ around 1865. It is thought to have possible been a Bergstrom, though it does not appear on the Bergstrom opus list. This organ was replaced in 1894. One story says it might have been moved to First Christian Church of Oakland, Cal.

However, the published history of St. Mark's Parish in Portland states, "In September, 1894, a pipe organ was purchased from Grace Church, San Fancisco, and used for the first time." A photograph shows the organ with a 3-sectional case containing stencilled pipes installed at the the front of the parish on the left - facing across the chancel and not directly into the room. A quote from San Francisco organbuilder Louis Schoenstein says that he remembered it as having an attached keydesk and a "high walnut Gothic case."  This fits what can be seen of the organ as pictured in the parish history.

The organ may have been electrified in 1925 by William Wood, organbuilder in Hillsboro, OR. and son of Michigan organbuilder Granville Wood.  It remained at St. Mark's until about 1959 when it was installed at St. Matthew's Episcopal Church [which see] in East Portland by Bill Blunk, at which time it was rebuilt on new pitman chests.

The preceding stoplist is derived from the extant and obviously 19th century, common metal pipework which was built by Samuel Pierce.
 
 
Sources
Extant components at St. Matthew's Episcopal; OHS convention booklet notes, St. Mark's Parish history; JRS.
 
 
 
 
M.P. Moller
Hagerstown, Maryland
Opus 8855         1956

"Original Specifications"


Great (Enclosed)
8     Diapason
8     Gedeckt
8     Viole Dolce
4     Octave
4     Flute
4     Fugara
22/3 Viole Twelfth
2     Viole Fifteenth
8     Trumpet
       Chimes

Swell (Enclosed)
16   Bourdon (tc)
8     Gedeckt
8     Viole Dolce
4     Flute
4     Fugara
22/3 Flute Twelfth
2     Flautino
8     Trumpet
4     Clarion
       Tremolo
 
 
Pedal (Enclosed)
16   Bourdon
8     Diapason
8     Flute
4     Octave
4     Flute

Stop / Rank / Pipe Analysis
16   Bourdon                                (Sw/Ped)   12   Extension of the 8' Gedeckt. Tenor C on the Swell.
8     Diapason                                (Gt/Ped)   61
8     Gedeckt                                 (Sw/Gt)   61
8     Flute                                          (Ped)   - -   Same as the 8' Gedeckt.
8     Viole Dolce                              (Sw/Gt)   61
4     Octave                                   (Gt/Ped)   12   Extension of the 8' Diapason.
4     Flute                                (Sw/Gt/Ped)   12   Extension of the 8' Gedeckt.
4     Fugara                                    (Sw/Gt)   12   Extension of the 8' Viole Dolce.
22/3 Flute Twelfth                                 (Sw)     7   Extension of the 8' Gedeckt.
22/3 Viole Twelfth                                 (Gt)      7   Extension of the 8' Viole Dolce.
2     Flautino                                       (Sw)     5   Extension of the 8' Gedeckt.
2     Viole Fifteenth                               (Gt)     5   Extension of the 8' Viole Dolce.
8     Trumpet                                  (Sw/Gt)   61
4     Clarion                                        (Sw)   12   Extension of the 8' Trumpet.
       Tremolo                                      (Sw)          Affects the entire instrument.
       Chimes                                       (Gt)   (25)  Mayland; tenor G - g2.  5-level volume control.
 
 
Pipe Summary
Diapason
               Gedeckt                Viole Dolce            Trumpet
73 pipes                97 pipes                85 pipes                73 pipes
 

Couplers
Swell to Pedal
Great to Pedal

Swell to Great


Finger Pistons
Full Organ                      1 - 4


Foot Levers
Gt. to Ped.                     (rev)


Pedal Movements
Expression                   (bal.)
Crescendo                    (bal.)
 
 
Action: Electro-Pneumatic unit

Voices: 4

Stops: 14; including chimes

Ranks: 4

Pipes: 328


Notes
This Moller "Artiste" replaced an electronic substitute which had, in turn, replaced the tracker built by an undocumented builder.

It was sold to St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Woodburn, OR. when the Werner Bosch [next organ] was acquired.

Sources
M.P. Moller opus list; Eugene M. Nye compilation; extant organ at St. Mary's Episcopal in Woodburn, OR.; JRS.
 
 
 
 
Werner Bosch                                Tonal Design
Kassel                                                   by
West Germany                          Olympic Organ Builders
Opus 429                                         Seattle, WA.  
1966

Hauptwerk (II)
16       Quintade                          56
8        Principal        [facade]         56
8        Spitzflote                         56
4         Octave                             56
4        Koppelflote                       56
2        Flachflote                         56
IV-VI    Mixtur        [19-22-26-29]    ???
8        Trompete    [en chamade]     56
 
 
Ruckpositiv (I)
8         Holzgedackt                     56
4        Principal        [facade]        56
4        Rohrflote                          56
2        Octave                             56
III-V     Scharff          [22-26-29]     ???
II         Sesquialtera    [12-17]        112
8        Krummhorn                      56
           Tremulant


Brustwerk (III)
8        Gedackt          [facade]       56
4        Spillpfeife         [facade]       56
2        Principal                          56
1 1/3  
   Nasat                              56
1        Sifflote                             56
II         Zimbel              [29-33]      112
8        Regal
           Tremulant


Pedal 
16        Principal          [facade]      32
16       Subbass                         32
8         Octave                            32
8         Gedackt                          32
4         Choralbass                      32
IV         Mixtur         [12-15-19-22]  128
16        Fagott                             32
4         Schalmei                         32
 

Couplers
 I - Pedal
II - Pedal
III - Pedal

III - II
I  - II


Finger Pistons
1
2
0
Pleno
 
 
Toe Studs
FK  1
FK  2
Ausl.
Pleno
HW - Ped     (rev)


Accessories 
Zimbelstern
Glockenstern


Action: Mechanical Key
            Electric Stop and Combination
 
Voices: 30
 
Stops: 30
 
Ranks: 44

Pipes: ???


Notes
The organ replaced the previous II-manual, 4-rank Moller "Artiste".

The organ is free-standing and encased in the rear gallery. The full console is attached to the casefront. The Hauptwerk 8' Principal has 26 pipes en facade (DD - d#1). The Pedal 16' Principal has 10 pipes in the pedal towers (5 each side). The Ruckpositiv 4' Principal comprises that divisions' 39-pipe facade. The first 5 pipes of the Brustwerk 8' Gedackt are in the very center of the facade above the console, flanked by first 16 pipes of the 4' Spillflote divided on either side.
 
The organ was designed by Glenn White and David Dahl of Olympic Organ Builders of Seattle in consultation with organist E. Power Biggs. The Dedicatory Recitals were given by then organist Donald R. McPherson on June 12th and 13th, 1966. The Inaugural Recitals were performed by E. Power Biggs on June 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st. He signed the organ case on the inside. Other "organ luminary" signatures inside the case include: Marilyn Mason, Odille Pierre and other notables who have performed on the instrument. David Aeschliman reports further: Biggs did inaugurate the organ with a series of recitals. He also forgave the parish of a substantial portion of his fee -- since they were short of cash at the time and paying his fee in total would have bankrupted the parish.
 
The Hauptwerk 8' Trompete is mounted horizontally from the case, and is one of two such stops in Portland - the other one being at St. Michael's Lutheran on the Marceau organ. Both the HW 8' Trompette and Pedal 16' Fagott are of copper. The mechanical action features stainless steel trackers!  All the chests are divided diatonically.

The finger pistons (FK = Freie Kombination) are controlled by two toggle switches above each stop tablet. FK 1 is white and FK 2 is red. When the toggle switch is in the down (on) position, that finger piston or toe stud will activate the stop.

This organ was featured at the AGO Regional in 1995. About this organ, the reviewer at that time said simply, "Dating from 1966, this neo-Baroque instrument was designed to do justice to the earlier repertoire . " --Joseph Adam (TAO, Oct. 95, p68).
 
 
Sources
Extant organ [July 16, 1990];  The Tracker, Vol. 41, No. 1, 1997; 1997 OHS Convention booklet; JRS.




Unknown Builder
Unknown Location
Opus
ca. 1790
 
Frans W.M. Bosman
Portland, Oregon
1982

"Restoration & New Casework"
 
 
Manual  (54 notes)

Bass
8     Holpyp                             24
4     Fluit                                 24
2     Prestant        [facade]         24
1     Flageolet                          24

Treble
8     Prestant                           30
8     Holpyp                             30
4     Fluit                                 30
3     Nasard                             30
2     Fluit                                 30
       Calcant  [wind]
 
Pedal (24 notes)
There are no independent Pedal registers.
The manual bass notes are permanently
coupled to the pedals.
 
 
Action: Mechanical Key & Stop

Voices: 7
 
Stops: 9
 
Ranks: 7

Pipes: 246
 
 
Notes
The origins of this little chamber organ are not documented. Restorer Frans W.M. Bosman - who is himself Dutch - said the organ had characteristics of Dutch organs from the late 18th century. This was evidently deduced party from the manner in which the stop names were written on the underside of the toeboards. When he restored the organ he designed the new casework more along middle 19th century lines.

The treble 8' Holpyp has bored stoppers, and the bass 2' Prestant is en facade.
 
 
Sources
Extant organ [January 29, 1990];  The Tracker, Vol. 41, No. 1, 1997; 1997 OHS Convention booklet; JRS.